Indian Air Force was founded on October 8, 1932. IAF accomplished several pivotal wars and milestone missions. To celebrate the Indian Air Force contribution to protect Indian airspace, this day is being celebrated to mark its anniversary.
1) After Indian independence in 1947, IAF was named as Royal Indian Air Force, but soon after India became a republic, it was renamed as Indian Air Force.
2) Since 1933, the Indian Air Force logo has been changed four times.
3) With around 1,70,000 personnel and 1,500 aircraft - India is the fourth-largest air force in the world after the US, Russia and China.
4)IAF is the world's seventh strongest Air Force leaving behind Germany, Australia and Japan.
5) IAF operates about 224 squadrons.
6) Inspired by the eleventh chapter of Bhagavad Gita, IAF has drawn its motto 'Nabha Sparsham Deeptham'.
7) Siachen Glaciers at 22,000 ft is the highest Air Force Station of the Indian Air Force.
8) Garud Commando is the longest training course in India from 2004.
9) The Farkhor Airbase located in Farkhor near Tajikistan is India's first and only military base outside the country.
10) Air Marshal Sir Thomas Walker Elmhirst - the first Commander-in-Chief of IAF has been Indian Air Force an independent service.
11) Padmavathy Bandopadhyay was the First Lady Air Marshal in IAF.